Sunday, June 22, 2008

Corner Gas the New Mayberry




I normally do not post anything as low brow as reviews of television shows, this being a site devoted to people who read and write real good.However in this case I feel compelled to admit that yes I do own a television I even have a DVR which makes my viewing much more enjoyable for when I am worn out from working on my Magnum opus and just need something to do before I visit one of my favorite villes, commonly known as Sleepville.
So now as I explain away why I watch TV, I view it as something I scorn but do secretly use as an over the counter narcotic to help ease the transition from awake to not awake. Corner Gas is the show I step out on a limb for you my gentle reader.The Show is from Canada and filmed in Saskatchewan, visit the link for more info. I was forced to watch it by my father who has Tivo and I found it mildly amusing, I watched another episode and was still not one over, finally my younger sister (9 years superior to her) admitted she and her husband were fans, so I relented set my DVR to record Corner Gas. Now I have recruited at least three more people who are fans. I was talking to my buddy Roscoe this evening and he admitted he really liked it, I compared it to a modern Mayberry filmed in Canada and he agreed. I respect Roscoes opinion hence the title of the post. The photo has nothing to do with Corner Gas other than it was taken in Canada. The show is on WGN America and is currently filming its 6th season.I leave it to you to decide, should I put down Finnigan's Wake and watch the boob tube? Yes, when your eyes grow weary, escape to Dog River.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 6:43 PM , Blogger Cléa said...

I haven't heard of the show but it's an awesome photo. Did you take it?

 
At 4:19 AM , Blogger josh williams said...

clea: Thanks, that was an easy photo which nature sometimes presents, a sort of a photo gimmie. Now taking an interesting photo in a dark empty room without windows or a flash, now this is when a good eye is required to create an awesome photo.

 
At 10:28 AM , Blogger Zen Wizard said...

I watch the show on a regular basis--the show is mildly amusing, if not "crack your ass sideways"-funny.

It strangely reminds me of my childhood in southeast Iowa what with the Scandanavian cadence to the way everyone talks, sort of like Fargo.

Anyway, the Mayberry analogy would be pretty much correct--you suspect that the local cops could keep their bullets in their shirtpockets and it would not make much of a difference.

As a general rule, we need to LIKE the people on TV because we are "letting them into our homes"--so you can't expect a comedy like, for instance, The Cable Guy or Very Bad Things (if in fact that was even SUPPOSED to be a comedy) to make it on quasi-network, Superstation type television.

Have you seen the previews for Factory on Spike TV?

That looks pretty good--and I am optimistic because since it's a "guy network" they can maybe do a little socio-political commentary. And fart jokes...

 
At 12:07 PM , Blogger josh williams said...

zen: Glad to hear there is another viewer, not sidesplitting but consistanly funny. I will have to program Factory to record so I can escape the burden of real brain thinkin'.

 
At 12:21 PM , Blogger Zen Wizard said...

They give some funny lines to the dude who wears the baseball cap backwards.

The cranky old man gets some funny bits & shit...

All-in-all, I would say by "for free on television"-standards, it is some good watchin'!

(Wish the chicks were a little hotter...like, the coffee shop chick. I wish she would get that mole above her tit removed and get some bigger tits. But then again, really beautiful women are rarely funny, for the simple reason that they don't have to be.)

 
At 8:44 PM , Blogger The Fool said...

Well, I guess I'll have to give this one a looksie. This is the first word I've heard. Thanks for the tip, Josh...I'll get back with you on it.

 
At 10:16 PM , Blogger Cléa said...

I much prefer outdoor photography than 'studio' type shots. I had an interest in portraiture at one time, esp candids, but now you can't point a camera at anyone!

 
At 5:12 AM , Blogger Mom! Toilets blogged! said...

Zen: Hotter chicks? Brents Mom is pretty hot, what do you expect? They be Canadian.
Although Josh said he knew of a movie where Karen the cop can be seen topless, I'm on my way to the video store next.
Mom!

 
At 8:09 PM , Blogger SleekPelt said...

I am about to visit your favorite ville, Josh, but I'll be on the lookout for Corner Gas, rest assures.

 
At 3:24 PM , Blogger tobyspeeks said...

Today was pretty calm, there was only one huge cargo ship sailing by. The most amazing thing is is the temperature this time of year. The lake is so cold (50F) and the air is so hot (90F) it produces weird effects. The worst is how people commandeer their cars.

 
At 11:30 AM , Blogger ~d said...

...passing thru on a Friday afternoon. Hmmm. Mayberry reference. I often wondered if I was the only one who ever watched that show-HAHA!
♥♥♥

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home