Friday, June 13, 2008

Guest Post from Jolene Ketzenberger


Jolene Ketzenberger of the Indianapolis star had this to say about beef. I liked the article which helps reinforce my lifestyle of a semi-retired, part time only when I sleep,full time vegan. No I am not a vegan but I am pretty handy when it comes to copy and paste. Next task, find a suitable photo for this post. Kind Regards JW

Below these collection of words is the article.

What could be better for a special occasion than steak? Whether for a backyard barbecue or a restaurant celebration, the classic cut of beef remains one of America's favorite entrees.

At Joseph Decuis restaurant in the small northeastern Indiana town of Roanoke, owners Pete and Alice Eshelman feature American-style Kobe beef, the highly regarded Japanese breed called Wagyu. In fact, they have their own herd.
Advertisement

"One of our chefs got some through a distributor, and we tasted it, and it tasted incredible," said Pete Eshelman.

Although already running an award-winning restaurant, an inn and a specialty food and gift shop, the couple began researching Wagyu beef. After visiting other ranchers and consulting with Japanese experts, in 2004 the Eshelmans launched the cattle operation on land six miles from the restaurant. The couple's Heritage Farm also supplies the restaurant with eggs and fresh produce.

"We started off with 20 pregnant heifers, which was my 50th birthday present," said Alice Eshelman.

Considerable mystique surrounds Kobe beef, which has been widely available in the United States only since the 1990s. True Kobe comes only from the Hyogo prefecture in Japan; however, the Wagyu breed is being successfully raised in the United States and Australia, using Japanese methods and breeding stock.

What has come to be called American Wagyu is typically a cross between Japanese Wagyu and black or red Angus.

American Wagyu steaks often cost more than $50 a pound; a 6-ounce fillet from Joseph Decuis is more than $40. At the much ballyhooed Kobe Club in New York City, an 8-ounce American Wagyu fillet is $85. A Kobe sampler for two costs $395.

Why such high prices? There is a limited supply, for one thing. Plus, more time and effort goes into raising the specialty beef, though perhaps not as much as popularly thought. While they are fed a special diet and do require a longer raising time before slaughter, stories of their special treatment are much exaggerated, said Alice Eshelman.

"They really are not fed beer," she said.

The Eshelmans' Wagyu cattle are started in the pasture, then are fed a special diet of hay, corn and distillers' grain (the mash left over from making beer). The docile cattle, which are fattened longer than typical U.S. cattle, weigh less than typical cattle but develop fat in and around their muscles.

Joseph Decuis executive chef Aaron Butts said that intramuscular marbling is like "internal basting."

The extra-tender beef has a buttery mouth feel, he said. "It's got a great beef flavor accented by that melt-in-your-mouth quality."

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 3:29 AM , Blogger Helen Mansfield said...

I have yet to indulge in the culinary treat that is the wagyu or kobe beef.

I did a story on this local restaurant about a year ago: http://www.tavernlibertyville.com/menus/steaks.html

The owner told me a once ounce serving of wagyu is so rich, delicious and fatty, it will satisfy the hunger of a normal human. I'm guessing with a dinner salad, jacket potato, and roll.

I'll take the plunge once Obama's in office, when I don't have to chose between paying for gas, food or my prescription medications.

 
At 3:51 PM , Blogger Mom! Toilets blogged! said...

You ever eat some of that Polish Sausage? Now thats some good stuff.
Mom!

 
At 4:17 PM , Blogger Cléa said...

I had Wagyu beef last night, incomparable!

 
At 9:47 PM , Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Midwest is where it's at for beef. No question.

It's what's for dinner, unless you're broke lime me, in which came ramen is for dinner.

 
At 8:58 AM , Blogger Toby said...

Don't knock the Ramen. It's good filler when you're working 8 hour days. And Caribou is by far way more tastier then any beef.

 
At 2:17 PM , Blogger Erin O'Brien said...

I ate a McBurger that I don't think had said "moo" in a long, long, long time.

 
At 11:58 AM , Blogger The Fool said...

Never tasted the Wagyu...have you Josh? What's your take on it? I will second Toby on the caribou though...and would add reindeer, moose, and buffalo to the list. They're all staples up here, and mmm-good.

 
At 12:16 PM , Blogger josh williams said...

Helen:I liked your article better,had I only none I would have stolen your lit. One ounce serving?

toilets: Polish sausage I have had and you would have to be stupid not to like it...Kinda of a Polish joke in there.

clea: Huh? Would you send me a gift certificate to a wagyu resturant so I can chow down. Thanks in advance JW

Doc: I have Wagyu taste on a Ramen budget.

toby: I have not eaten Caribou? Sounds interesting.

erin: What moo was not mixed with some delicious fillers. Floor sweepings and such.

the fool: I have only had Buffalo, and it takes a knack to figure out how to cook...I have yet to experience wagyu or all those other critters you mentioned...I need to get out more.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home