Friday, February 09, 2007

Sir Richard Francis Burton


I have mastered and am quite fluent in 26 languages, by the end of the year I hope to have a total of 30 under my belt, my next conquests will be German, French, Spanish and Pig Latin. I had a friend question why I saved the last four to master, as he said “think of all the new people you could talk to”! I told him its not that I don’t want to talk to more people, its just that I think I have exhausted the ones I have already talked to, in other words I think the world is not ready for more of my drivel.
Sir Richard Francis Burton I believe knew around twenty-one languages, he was an adventure/linguist in fact it is widely believed he translated the ancient Indian text of the Kama Sutra. Word on the street…it is not really true that he was the translator since the original manuscript was in ancient Sanskrit, which he could not read. However, he collaborated with Forster Fitzgerald Arbuth not on the work and provided translations from other manuscripts of later translations. The Kama Shashtra Society first printed the book in 1883 and numerous editions of the Burton translation are in print to this day.
Its odd to know that I have eclipsed Sir Richard in the language arts, I have not done the math but I know in my heart of hearts that I know a lot more words than the guy that has been dead moldering in the grave some 126 years. Written by author and quickly dismissed as bold-faced lies. Kind Regards Sir JWW

9 Comments:

At 4:28 PM , Blogger Toby said...

Save the best for last? I've practiced the Kama Sutra from cover to cover many times over, it gets you nowhere and sometimes some very peculiar looks.

 
At 4:34 PM , Blogger josh williams said...

toby:Yes, its kind of a don't try this with out adult supervision manual.Hmmm thats kinda peculiar...Or maybe its a dont try this without a contortionists supervision...

 
At 4:32 AM , Blogger ~d said...

(LOL, at toby's comment!)

Hiya 007!
♥♥♥
s'up dude?!

 
At 5:56 PM , Blogger Helen Mansfield said...

Yes, but YOU'LL never marry Elizabeth Taylor. Twice even. BAHAHAHHAHA.

I'm a dork.

 
At 2:42 AM , Blogger josh williams said...

~d: ♥♥♥♥007 is pluggin' right along, how you? toby shared a heart warming life lesson, its not polite to laugh..eheheehhehe

helen:How can you be a dork when I'm the dork? Calafornia law dictates that a woman the size of Elizabeth Taylor requires you marry her twice. bada bing!

 
At 3:40 AM , Blogger Toby said...

all kama aside, I get the burton reference even if you were only joshing

 
At 6:27 AM , Blogger josh williams said...

toby: Burton triggers thoughts and then madness your correct.As for this Joshing expression you use, what does it mean? ...Actually I was watching the discovery channel a few years ago and I discovered the origins, to complicted to explain, but there was a Josh who spawned this expression...

 
At 7:07 AM , Blogger Robert A. Ganoosh said...

Those Indians think they're so smart with their Kama Sutra... But guess what? Western Europe conquored the world using only the missionary position*. Think about it...


*With the exception of the reign of the Greeks in classical times. This will not be discussed further.

 
At 8:57 AM , Blogger josh williams said...

sombrero11:Thats the kind of shit people dont realize, thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home