Sunday, October 08, 2006

Guest Post From my Brother "Mom"




This post was stolen from the Trail Rider Magazine Web site ...I am sure they don't mind and I am sure you dont care. JW



Gas Stop Advice
Print E-mail
What to do when you need gas but don't have a can...

If you have ever been to one of those long events where the club hauls the gas cans, then I'm sure you've enjoyed the same scene I have. You have ridden for hours, you have become enjoyably delirious and you ride up to a field just covered with red gas cans. A tomato pickers dream. You are left with the task of finding your own very special can. Other riders scramble around looking like some mad Easter egg hunt.

So from my experience here are some ideas:

1. Do not write your name on the bottom of your can.

2. The blue kerosene cans work well for easy identification, until the gasoline container police nab you.

3. Flags from an Invisible Fence enclosure work well and will deter any dog from relaxing near it.

4. Furnace (duct) tape wrapped no matter how cryptically just does not work. Every body does it, when gas gets splashed on it, tape gets all slimy and sticky and, every body does it.

5. When you just can't find your can for what ever reason ( you didn't bring one?) what I do is I borrow, not steal but borrow, a little out of several different cans. There are reasons why you want to use several cans. The most important is so nobody misses any gas and come looking for you because you have a reputation for borrowing gas. Second, the more cans used the less likely you are to get straight four-stroke gas and seize your bike. They say you are not to mix two kinds of oil but they don't say anything about mixing five or six kinds now, do they? You might even recognize other riders' names on cans, this will clue you in on it's contents. You can write things on your own can to discourage riders mooching your gas. "Water" works well. "Experimental alternative fuel test, contains raw sewage" works pretty well too.

6. I have designed my own can. It has so much stuff fastened to it the club usually leaves it in the truck or dumped out at the tail gate. It has many of my own innovations. It has wheels on it so you can move it around. It has a long filler hose with a battery powered pump with a automatic shut off valve for unattended fill ups. It has lots of compartments for necessities like candy bars and tools. It has a built in toilet seat with privacy curtain and a magazine holder. It even has a short wave radio with a power amplifier. This really distracts other riders. I turn it up really loud and tune in Malaysian talk shows, complete with all the static squeaks and squalls. With a little bit of ingenuity you could probably do something similar.

12 Comments:

At 2:18 PM , Blogger Friends of McDougal said...

I'm trying to keep you out of trouble, Mr. P. Coletrain. Bunyan's already started his way over to McDougal's place, and is trying to start World War III ... Do you realize what might happen if those two giants tangle?

Let me say a couple of things:

1. Highlander is not just a movie. Jesus, man ... do you not realize your own serendipity in referencing it that close to the Bible?

2. McDougal lost half his right foot performing something called the "dandelion position" from the Kama Sutra. It's long since grown back, but let's not test his mood by referencing it here.

Oh, and 3.) THe last man who was assigned McDougal foot/toe grooming was kicked to death during a particularly moving episode of St. Elsewhere. To my knowledge no one has taken on this task since.

I'm trying to keep McDougal away from the computer ... as what he reads in the blogosphere tends to upset his bowels and throw him into confused fits of rage (picture a bear being awakened from hibernation by a pack of badgers.

I'm not trying to start a fight ... only to issue fair warning.

The man's unhinged. And as soon as he realizes the Canadian vote won't help him, we're all doomed. Do you really want to pile on to that?

 
At 5:12 PM , Blogger josh williams said...

I worked so hard to build this site, what in the hell are you two going to do to all my hard work? I'm an honest man who has friends that has familys and shit dudes I'm scairt!

 
At 7:31 AM , Blogger Toby said...

I pee high octane. Please do not wrap me in duct tape.

 
At 8:03 AM , Blogger josh williams said...

Roscoe/Friends:I think you are both behaving like children.

toby: Your safe.

Toliet: Lets get real, your making up stuff now...huh?

 
At 12:04 AM , Blogger Erin O'Brien said...

jeSUS you people can gas on in this here comment section.

Can I use the afforementioned techniques to tag my beer can?

Hello?

 
At 4:19 AM , Blogger josh williams said...

Erin: Yes Erin you can I would recommend JW brand beer can duct tape, it may cost a little more than the other premium (3M) brands but well worth the investment. I do think toliet is offering sound advice by not writing your name on the bottom of your can...Peace Trails JW

 
At 4:28 AM , Blogger ~d said...

Pissin in the wind
blowin on all your friends

(just passing thru!)

 
At 6:40 AM , Blogger josh williams said...

d~: Stay awhile next time I'll make a cup of joe.

 
At 7:01 AM , Blogger JBoombostick said...

Reminds me of mad max

 
At 8:02 AM , Blogger Roxi said...

I was thinking of hiring a midget to watch over mine..

what do you think?

 
At 12:03 PM , Blogger The Hanged Man said...

Jesus Lord, I'm gassy.

 
At 4:41 PM , Blogger josh williams said...

bos: Mad Max had a guess problem as well, yes that was what the whole damn movie was about! Gas is our friend.

Roxi: You know how I hate midgets, your just teasing I know but it hurts so bad.

Tuan McDougal: I pitty the fool that pulls your finger.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home