Monday, June 05, 2006

Time Travel




1967 This is the estimated date of this photo I palmed off of my friends nearly 35 years ago. I was visiting the Roscoe family and looking through some photos with the fellow brothers of Roscoe (Joe and John) and discovered this gem of a portrait. I palmed it when I realized that John was not to proud of the picture and wanted to tear it up. When he could not find it he lost interest. Hopefully he will never learn of this post or his interest will peak with this resurfacing, precipitating the begining of my last post...John aka Big John is a vengeful John who might smite me if he catch’s me posting photos of his proudest catch. Which he kept wrapped in tin foil for years and when asked would run out to the garage and pull the stinking pulp out of the freezer chest and showed all who had the will to force faux interest... life can be cruel and stuff.

I met the Roscoe family I think in 1969 +-? when I moved to the country, to live the simple life.(My folks and siblings followed shortly) My brother Toilet (who I am looking for a picture he despises to post. Because quite simply revenge is best served cold) met up with big John at school and brought him over to the house because he had a cool Rupp mini bike and Chuckles had some sort of bike( I think it was pink) and me, tender lad of seven had a Sears mini bike, tricked out to the max! We bonded like biker’s do and John introduced us to his brothers Roscoe and Joe who also had a passion for biking.

First time I visited their house R and Joe offered me a triple Decker peanut butter and jelly sandwich... I had never heard of let alone seen such a thing. This excited the boys to no end and they expounded on the wonders of the sandwich and how they ate them all the time. They were amazed I had never heard of the sandwich...Turns out they were playing improve at the city slickers expense.

Shortly after this visit I was in their bedroom to see Big John's stereo and he was bragging about his head phones which were pretty rad. Roscoe showed me a statue of budda they had resting on a shelf and told me if I rubbed its belly it would bring me good luck, I did and then he laughed and told me I was going to hell because I was worshipping a pagan God. I was only seven so I took him for his word but did not lose any sleep over it at the same time. That was a long time ago and now I go to bed now. JW This story was all based on fact, even the outright lies.

8 Comments:

At 11:04 PM , Blogger ing said...

That is one fiiiione fish. Is it still there, in the freezer? Perhaps some Christmas you all can thaw it and share a happy reunion dinner.

Perhaps, I might add, though please keep in mind that this is the stuff of Hollywood and you stand to make a lot of money by exploiting the subject. I will keep quiet about it, but I can't speak for the media, here. . .

I do love your tangential style, Josh, I honestly love it.

 
At 3:25 AM , Blogger josh williams said...

ing: I think the fish was tossed.Poor John probably ran to the freezer one day and could not find his frozen trophy, his dad may have decided it was time all their food did not smell of rotten fish.
Thank you for the complement, high praise from a well respected writer and well I blush. Thanks ing...JW

 
At 12:01 PM , Blogger Robert A. Ganoosh said...

It's all lies Josh, don't you understand that, especially the stuff that's true.

 
At 3:06 PM , Blogger Toby said...

Indiana has small large mouths. It's a trick shot having some kid hold it up.

On a more serious note. Josh, this might interest you. It might even give you fodder to sell your kits.

 
At 5:58 PM , Blogger josh williams said...

Somby: You bet! As Leo Kottke sang and still does, "wont you tell me why everybody lies everybody dies"or something like that, great song no matter how poor my singin' brought it to life or, never mind don't get me googling Leo Kottke Lyrics...

Le: I am not sure you are telling me the whole truth...But thankee in any case.


Toby: Yep, not much of a season for those poor little fellas to feed. I talked to Roscoe and he mentioned the camera trick, but then again the boy was big(Big John).
If it was me holding the fish in 67 the fish would have been dragging the ground. But then again if it was me I would have caught one even bigger!No shite real big, so big that even when it came to tell of it I would have no need to lie! OK I stole that from the fishermans prayer...

 
At 3:56 AM , Blogger josh williams said...

Le: So is I , so is I.

 
At 8:31 PM , Blogger jungle jane said...

That fish would be getting a bit smelly by now...

 
At 4:21 AM , Blogger josh williams said...

JJ: As Ben Franklin said. Fish are like guests, after about three days they both beging to smell.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home