Sunday, August 03, 2008

Pack it in Pack it Out




If you study the photos above these are what certain parks require backpackers to carry with them so they can pack out their solid waste. I have been on a number of camping trips, some of them backpacking. One thing I am sure of that without proper rifling I am ashamed to admit that I would be hard pressed to hit the target bullseye. I fear there would be some collateral damage or without a proper GPS guidance system nothing but collateral damage. What ever happened to carrying a small campers shovel and burying the shit?
On to another similar subject I was speaking with a retired gentleman whose name will not be used, but trust me a reliable source.We were swapping stories about floods and drainage problems a month or so ago after the Midwest received extra heavy rainfall, and the rain possibly part of the flooding issue.
Well this gent managed a fast food burger restaurant in the 70's one which we as children would frequent. He told me how the place had a horrible drainage problem and that when the storm sewers where full not only would the toilets not flush but the drains would back up, flooding the back portion of the eatery. The back portion being behind the registers and where all the food is prepared, he told me how embarrasing it was to be talking to a customer while trying to indiscretly kick a chunk of solid human waste back out of view.
A funny story but kinda gross I suppose and really touchs home because I used to frequent this restuarant back in the day, rain or shine. Thats it, no politics or religion just good old fashion shit talking, come to think of it? I stand corrected.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 9:38 AM , Blogger Zen Wizard said...

I always thought my $H!t was biodegradable--well, except for the Preparation H suppositories and the occasional enema syringe some mobile nursing unit might have left up there.

Also--on another point--is human shit that much more polluting than, say, bear or deer shit?

You never see THEM carrying their shit around.

Just sayin'...

 
At 9:48 AM , Blogger josh williams said...

zen: Well you know I don't make the rules and I don't always follow them, something about the idea of reaching in my pack for some trail mix...

 
At 10:24 AM , Blogger Zen Wizard said...

If this is such a crucial issue with the National Parks Service, I would have expected to see at least ONE "edu-taining" "Yogi the Bear" episode on this issue.

The episode almost writes itself: Yogi and Boo Boo, stealing picnic baskets from innocent tax-paying tourists, instead get a Glad Sandwich Bag full of human shit.

That would have taught me, as a youngster, that stealing is wrong and National Park shit-baggage is RIGHT...

I do not recall one single time the Ranger spoke on this issue to the bears, or any other time this was dealt with in a tasteful fashion.

 
At 11:17 AM , Blogger josh williams said...

zen: Somewhere there is an activist who is getting laid because he was instrumental in saving the world.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home