Sunday, March 02, 2008

Real Men Pee Outside



I do admit I was fascinated by the sign and since I have not heard back from zen on maybe making a deal for some real folding cash.I thought I would post another photo of the same which shows more detail than the previous photograph, this sign is for sale to the highest bidder, yes this includes the new Dubai Louvre.
The Some Place Else place did not have many customers and during the winter they shut off the water so as to save money and the pipes from freezing we were forced to use the planets toilet, out front on the board walk. Which brings me to the point, I like peeing outside and I would wager if poled, most men would admit the same. Now if you were raised in the city which does not afford such a luxury, I am not bragging or suggesting you are a know nothing city slicker, because deep down I know you would love to free your self from the surly bonds of neighbors and just let 'er rip! Also ladies, say what you will about men and most likely you will be right, but when it comes to the freedom to pee at the drop of a nickel, we have you beat hands down!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 3:55 AM , Blogger Erin O'Brien said...

I am duly intrigued by all of this, Mr. Williams.

Duly intrigued.

The sign, your curious labels, the je ne sais pas of the desolate scape ... it all makes me wither and sigh.

 
At 4:44 AM , Blogger josh williams said...

erin: This can all be explained. Thanks for stopping in, did you feel the cool ocean breeze?

 
At 8:15 AM , Blogger Zen Wizard said...

Just so I am straight on it: The logo is supposed to be a beer stein sitting on a bar...right?

It just also looks like a judge's gavel or a polo mallet.

And the word "games" on the bottom--as if an afterthought--only adds to the mystique.

 
At 8:17 AM , Blogger Zen Wizard said...

Maybe the cloudy, smoglike swirls in the background are supposed to say, "This is what a beer stein looks like when you are 'faced out of your gourd."

It almost makes me homesick for looking out on Los Angeles from Mullholland Drive on a cloudy day--but not quite.

 
At 1:08 PM , Blogger josh williams said...

zen: This is why its called art. I know I feel stronger when I stare at it, great art is found in some of the darndest places.

 
At 4:14 PM , Blogger Zen Wizard said...

I finally figured out that it also says, "Cold Beverages."

The succinctness of the copy is also genius--the writer/artist is not pigeonholing SomePlaceElse Tavern into the public awareness as someplace that just sells BEER--presumably, a "Cold Beverage" might include one o' them fancy San Francisco sasparillas.

I am sure this ad man was discovered when somebody from the Leo Burnett Agency visited SomePlaceElse Tavern--and now he is probably looking out over all of his domain from a penthouse suite in Manhattan.

 
At 4:18 PM , Blogger Zen Wizard said...

"Cold Beverages" was probably a wise choice of verbage when it came time for a renewal of the liquor licence with the zoning board.

Brilliant copy.

Simply genius.

Like Stan Freberg in his prime.

 
At 6:05 PM , Blogger josh williams said...

zen: I think the "Cold Beverage" was good verbage use. Any artist worth their salt, understands the role the zoning board is like a microcosm of how the big creeps play.
I know in my imaginary heart of hearts that the poet/artist/shaman/etc who painted this sign did so for profit.

 
At 12:01 PM , Blogger Cléa said...

I love the icy cold portrayed in the photo. It looks like an amazing yet desolate place.

As for using the outside (non) facilities, I'm sure the ocean would make the experience, shall we say, inspirational.

 
At 12:22 PM , Blogger josh williams said...

clea: Oh yes indeed, nothing like staring out at the crashing waves and taking a good old fashion leak.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home