Monday, August 22, 2005

KY Derby winner's bed pee'd in by me!

I am not one to brag but ...Ok I do have a few things that set me apart from the "norms" the "pedestrians" the .. the I'll continue.
Back around 1968 I was visiting my grandparents in North Carolina which was what I did back then, it was either that or watch my folks go completely insane with me and my bro's company for an entire summer, we were delightful children. This trip to NC my mom came down to join us for a trip to Florida to visit my Grandpa Oscars sister. Oscar did not go on this trip because he was tied up doing anything but traveling in a car to Florida with a bunch of kids.
So it was me my Mum, Grammie, Kelly (my favorite uncle), my bro Chuck and I think thats the cast.(Lot of odd things happened on this trip but for now its all about me)
Cast? Now I am talking about a cast!
OK my aunt we visited lived next to Ron Turcotte the famous jockey, he was out of town but left his house open for my aunts relatives to use. Me being around four was awarded the champions chambers, I remember the oil painting of a fine race horse above his bed and the looks my elders exchanged when they realized the following morning I had pissed in the neighbors bed... I dont know the rest of the story but I figure they cleaned the sheets and kept their mouths shut about my ultra hydration problem. Next to that guy who rode Sea Biscuit I don't know much about Jockeys other than when they leave town they should not offer their beds to strangers. JW


Ron Turcotte

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Ron Turcott and Secretariat at the 1973 Belmont Stakes finish line
Enlarge
Ron Turcott and Secretariat at the 1973 Belmont Stakes finish line

Ron Joseph Morel Turcotte (born July 22, 1941 in Drummond, New Brunswick, Canada) is a Hall of Fame thoroughbred race horse jockey.

Turcotte began his career in Toronto, Ontario as a hot walker for E. P. Taylor's Windfields Farm in 1959 but he was soon wearing the silks and winning races. As an apprentice jockey he rode Windfields' great Northern Dancer to his first victory. In 1965, he gained prominence with his victory aboard Tom Rolfe in the Preakness Stakes. Turcotte soon found himself working with trainer Lucien Laurin at the racetrack in Laurel, Maryland. In 1972 he rode Riva Ridge to victory in the Kentucky Derby and the Belmont Stakes.

Ron Turcotte became internationally famous in 1973 when he rode Secretariat to the first Triple Crown win in 25 years. He was North America's leading stakes-winning jockey in 1972 and 1973.

He was voted the prestigious George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award that honors a rider whose career and personal conduct exemplifies the very best example of participants in the sport of thoroughbred racing.

His career ended in 1978 following a tumble from his horse during a race at Belmont Park that left him a paraplegic. Ron Turcotte was immediately inducted in the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame in 1979. He was voted into the New Brunswick Sports Hall of Fame and in 1980 was inducted into Canada's Sports Hall of Fame.

Ron Turcotte's Riding Career from 1961-1978:

  • Number of Mounts: 20,281
  • Number of Winners: 3,032
  • Winning Percentage: 14.9%

1 Comments:

At 9:48 AM , Blogger Friends of McDougal said...

Congratulations.

I dream of such a brush with greatness.

Sadly, however, the only beds I've peed in have been those of strippers and Kroger check-out girls, one of whom shot at me when she discovered what I'd done to her faux satin sheets.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home